In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coberley like this:
CUBBERLEY, or Coberley, a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester; among the Cotswolds, at the sources of the river Churn, 4½ miles S by E of Cheltenham town and r. station. Post town, Colesborne, under Cheltenham. Acres, 3, 421. Real property, £3, 063. Pop., 343. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £320.* Patron, Henry Elwes, Esq. The church was built in 1330 by the Berkeleys, then the lords of the manor; and is tolerable. There is a Baptist chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Coberley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Coberley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coberley, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Coberley".