In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clapton like this:
CLAPTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish in Stow-on-the Wold district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 4¼ miles NE of Northleach, and 7¾ SW of Addlestrop r. station. Post town, Northleach, under Cheltenham. Acres, 783. Real property, £1, 249. Pop., 123. Houses, 27. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Bourton-on-the-Water, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is old and small.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clapton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clapton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clapton, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clapton".