In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upton Magna like this:
UPTON-MAGNA, a parish in Atcham district, Salop; on the Shropshire Union railway, 3¾ miles E of Shrewsbury. It has a post-office under Shrewsbury, and a r. station. Acres, 3,260. Real property, £5,719. Pop., 452. Houses, 93. The property is divided between two. Coaland limestone are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £546.* Patron, the Rev. J. D. Corbet. The church is ancient. Charities, £15.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Upton Magna has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shrewsbury and Atcham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Upton Magna and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upton Magna, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Upton Magna".