In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Churcham like this:
CHURCHAM, a village in Westbury-on-Severn district, and a parish in Westbury-on-Severn and Gloucester districts, Gloucestershire. The village stands near the river Severn, and the Gloucester and Hereford railway, 3¼ miles NE by E of Grange-Court r. station, and 4¼ W by S of Gloucester; and has a post office under Gloucester. The parish includes also the hamlets of Over, Linton, and Highnam. Acres, 4, 264. Real property, £8, 261. Pop., 1, 002. Houses, 192. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Bulley, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £386.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church is modern, and has a beautiful spire. The p. curacy of Highnam is separate. There are a Wesleyan chapel and national schools.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Churcham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Forest of Dean. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Churcham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Churcham, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Churcham".