In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chedworth like this:
CHEDWORTH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Northleach district, Gloucester. The village stands near the river Churn, 4½ miles SW of Northleach, and 6¾ N of Cirencester r. station; has a post office under Cheltenham; and gave the title of Baron to the family of Howe. The parish comprises 4, 589 acres. Real property, £5, 604. Pop., 954. Houses, 220. The property is much subdivided. Part of the land is occupied by Chedworth wood. A barrow occurs on high ground; and a Roman bath was discovered in 1760. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £302.* Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church has a fine sculptured stone pulpit; and is good. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £41.The sub-district contains sixteen parishes and a chapelry. Acres, 36, 449. Pop., 5, 253. Houses, 1, 127.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chedworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chedworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chedworth, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chedworth".