In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Cerney like this:
CERNEY (South), a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; adjacent to the Thames and Severn canal, and near the Cheltenham and Western Union railway, 4 miles SSE of Cirencester. It has a post office under Cirencester. Acres, 3,100. Real property, £6,364. Pop., 1,006. Houses, 247. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage united with the p. curacy of Cerney-Wick, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £231. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church ranges from transition Norman to decorated English, and was partly rebuilt in 1862. There are a chapel of ease, an Independent chapel, a national school, an asylum-college on a bequest of £11,000 in 1834 for widows and orphans of poor clergymen, and other charities £70.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing South Cerney has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering South Cerney and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Cerney, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "South Cerney".