In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Huncoat like this:
HUNCOAT, a village and a township in Whalley parish, Lancashire. The village stands on a risingground, adjacent to the East Lancashire railway, 1½ mile NE by E of Accrington; and has a station on the railway, and chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans.-The township comprises 960 acres. Real property, £2, 336; of which £50 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 598; in 1861, 839. Houses, 154. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of cotton spinning. The Accrington cemetery and the reservoir of the Accrington waterworks are on the border.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Huncoat has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hyndburn. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Huncoat and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huncoat, in Hyndburn and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Huncoat".