Place:


Myddle  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Myddle like this:

MIDDLE, a township and a parish in Ellesmere district, Salop. The township lies 3 miles E by N of Baschurch r. station, and 7 N by W of Shrewsbury; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. The parish contains also the townships of Alderton, Hadnall, Haston, Hardwick, Shotton, Smethcott, Baldurton, Marton, Newton, and part of Sleep,-the first six of which constitute the chapelry of Hadnall. ...


Acres, 6,909. Real property, £6,008; of which £37 are in quarries. Pop., 1,258. Houses, 271. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Earl Brownlow. Ruins exist of a castle which belonged to the L'Estranges and to "Wild'' Kynaston; and the cave of "Wild ''Kynaston is shown in Nescliffe rock. 'The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £1,003.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is ancient, with a tower; was partially restored in 1855; and has a stained window, and an old brass. The p. curacy of Hadnall is a separate benefice. There are a parochial school, and charities £92. The history of the parish was written by Gough of Middle.

Myddle through time

Myddle is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Myddle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Myddle in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10430

Date accessed: 16th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Myddle ".