In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkhopton like this:
HOPTON (Monk), a village and a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop. The village stands 4½ miles S of Much-Wenlock r. station, and 7 W by N of Bridgnorth; and has a post office under Bridgnorth.The parish comprises 2, 208 acres. Real property, £1, 623. Pop., 175. Houses, 33. The surface is undulating. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £56. Patron, Lord Wenlock. The church was recently rebuilt.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Monkhopton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bridgnorth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Monkhopton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monkhopton, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Monkhopton".