In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton like this:
SUTTON, a village and a parish in Epsom district, Surrey. The village stands adjacent to the Epsom railway, 4½ miles WSW of Croydon; consists chiefly of one street; is the head polling place for Mid-Surrey; and has a post-office‡ under London S, a r. station with telegraph, and two hotels.The parish includes Ben-hilton group of new villas at Been Hill, numerous other new villas and cottages, and the South Metropolitan District school. Acres, 1,803. Real property, £12,061; of which £30 are in gasworks. ...
Pop. in 1851, 1,387; in 1861, 3,186,-of whom 900 were in the S. M. D. school. Houses, 452. The property is much subdivided. A section with a pop. of about 1,100, was formed, in 1863, into the chapelry of Benhilton. The head living is a rectory, and that of B. is a vicarage, in the diocese of Winchester. Value of the former, £660.* of the latter, £200.* Patron of the former, H. Padwick, Esq.; of the latter, the Representatives of the late T. Alcock Esq. The parochial church was rebuilt in 1863, at a cost of £6,000; and is in late first-pointed style. B. church was built in 1864, and is in the decorated English style. There are several dissenting chapels, a slightly endowed school, and charities £51.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sutton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sutton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sutton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton in Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sutton".