In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Boxwell like this:
BOXWELL-WITH-LEIGHTERTON, a parish in Tetbury district, Gloucester; on the Cotswolds, 4½ miles ESE of Wotton-under-Edge, and 6½ E of Charfield r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Leighterton, under Wotton-under-Edge. Acres, 2,266. Real property, £2,693. Pop, 255. Houses, 56. The property is divided among a few. Boxwell Court is the seat of the Rev. R. W. Huntley. About 45 acres are covered with box-trees. An ancient nunnery stood at Boxwell; and is said to have been destroyed by the Danes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £350.* Patron, the Rev. R. W. Huntley. The church is ancient, and has a very ancient font. There is also a very ancient chapel at Leighterton.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Boxwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Boxwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boxwell, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Boxwell".