In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bourton on the Water like this:
BOURTON-ON-THE-WATER, a village and a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester. The village stands on the river Windrush, and on the Fossé way, at the terminus of the Bourton-on-the-Water railway, 4 miles SSW of Stow-on-the-Wold: and has a post office‡ under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. The parish comprises 2,282 acres. Real property, £6,188. Pop., 1,011. Houses, 234. The property is much subdivided. Many Roman antiquities, one of them a curious gold signet, have been found in the vicinity of the village; and there was formerly a paved aqueduct. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacies of Clapton and Lower Slaughter, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £475.* Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is Grecian, and has a lofty tower, surmounted by a cupola. There are a Baptist chapel and two public schools.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bourton on the Water has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bourton on the Water and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bourton on the Water, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bourton on the Water".