Place:


Spalding Lincolnshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Spalding like this:

Spalding, market town and par. with ry. sta., Lincolnshire, on river Welland, 14 m. SW. of Boston, 12,070 ac., pop. 9260; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Tuesday. Spalding is an important railway centre, while the river has been made navigable to the town for vessels of from 50 to 70 tons. It is situated in a rich agricultural district, and has a large trade, by river and by rail, in corn, wool, coal, and timber. It has also flour, bone, and saw mills, breweries, and coach works. There are remains of a priory of 1501, a fine old church (restored 1860), a grammar school, a corn exchange, and a spacious market place.

Spalding through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Spalding has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Holland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Spalding and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Spalding, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/104

Date accessed: 20th December 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Spalding".