In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leighton like this:
LEIGHTON, a village and a parish in Atcham district, Salop. The village stands on the river Severn, near the Severn Valley railway, between Buildwas and Cressage stations, 3½ miles N by W of Much-Wenlock; and has a post office under Wellington, Salop. The parish comprises 2,151 acres. Real property, £2,289. Pop., 340. Houses, 63. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to R. Gardner, Esq. Leighton Hall is a chief residence. The Wrekin, forming a grand feature, and commanding an extensive view, is on the NE border. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £218.* Patron, Wingfield, Esq. The church is a good brick building, with a wooden tower; and contains several monumental tablets. Charities, £20.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Leighton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shrewsbury and Atcham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Leighton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leighton, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Leighton".