Place:


English Bicknor  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described English Bicknor like this:

BICKNOR (English), a parish in the district of Monmouth and county of Gloucester; on the verge of the county, at the river Wye, 3½ miles N of Coleford, and 6½ SW of Mitcheldean Road r. station. It includes two places, called Mailscot and New Weir, formerly extra-parochial; and its Post Town is Coleford. ...


Acres, 2,377. Real property, £3,280. Pop., 592. Houses, 125. The property is divided among a few. Bicknor Court, the seat of Col. Woosnam, stands on a cliff overhanging the Wye, and commands a fine view. Much of the land is disposed in cyder-orchards and in meadows. Coal, ironstone, and limestone are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300.* Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church stands within the fossé of an ancient fortification; and is good. Charities, £5.

English Bicknor through time

English Bicknor is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about English Bicknor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of English Bicknor, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10383

Date accessed: 28th May 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " English Bicknor ".