In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holdgate like this:
HOLDGATE, a township and a parish in Ludlow district, Salop. The township lies on the river Corve, 7 miles ESE of Church-Stretton r. station, and 11 NNE of Ludlow. Pop., 46. Houses, 10. The parish contains also the townships of Bowldon and Brookhampton; and its post town is Stanton-Long, under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 1,896. Real property, £1, 736. Pop., 196. Houses, 39. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. Henry Thursby. An ancient castle of the Dukes of Norfolk formerly stood here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £276. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church has a tower, and is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Holdgate has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Shropshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Holdgate and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holdgate in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Holdgate".