In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Barrington like this:
BARRINGTON (Great), a parish in the district of Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucester; on the verge of the county, 3½ miles NW of Burford, and 7 SW of Shipton r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Barrington, under Faringdon. Acres, 2,983. Real property, £3,517. Pop., 496. Houses, 107. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, prior to the Conquest, to Earl Harold; and belongs now to Lord Dynevor. The present mansion on it is an elegant modern edifice, within a park about 3 miles in circuit; and a previous mansion was built in 1734 by Lord Chancellor Talbot, and soon afterwards destroyed by fire. ...
Quarries of excellent freestone are worked; and supplied the material for Blenheim House and for the restoration of Westminster Abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £221. Patron, Lord Dynevor. The church is a handsome building, with pinnacled tower; was erected in the time of Henry VII.; and has monuments of Captain Edward Bray and Lord Chancellor Talbot. Charities, £17.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Barrington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Barrington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Barrington, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Barrington".