In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Bridgford like this:
BRIDGFORD (West), a township and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The township lies on the Grantham canal, near the Midland railway, 2 miles SE of Nottingham. Pop., 280. Houses, 58. The parish contains also the township of Gamston; and includes part of the village of Bassingfield, which has a post office under Nottingham. Acres, 1,720. Real property, £3,360. Pop., 390. Houses, 76. The property is divided between two. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £588. Patron, J. Musters, Esq. The church is good; and there is an endowed school, with £27 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Bridgford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rushcliffe. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Bridgford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Bridgford, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Bridgford".