In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashley like this:
ASHLEY, a parish in the district of Tetbury and county of Wilts; near Akeman-street, 3 miles NE of Tetbury, and 4½ SSW of Tetbury Road r. station. Post Town, Tetbury. Acres, 946. Real property, with Newnton, £4,581. Pop., 90. Houses, 17. The property is all in one estate; belonged formerly to the Georges and the Hungerfords, and belongs now to the Estcorts. There is a large mansion, and there was formerly a market. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £220.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is ancient, with some arches round, others pointed, and a square embattled tower; contains a large rude font, and tomb of the Georges; and was repaired in 1858.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ashley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ashley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashley, in Cotswold and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ashley".