In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alvington like this:
ALVINGTON, a parish in the district of Chepstow and county of Gloucester; on the estuary of the Severn, and the South Wales railway, near Wollaston r. station, 2 miles SW of Lydney. Post Town, Lydney. Acres, 2,553; of which 500 are water. Real property, £2,709. Pop. 369. Houses, 79. The manor belongs to the family of Noel. The living is a p. curacy annexed to the rectory of Wollaston, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The ancient church was a cell to Llantony Abbey.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alvington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Forest of Dean. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alvington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alvington, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alvington".