In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alderley like this:
ALDERLEY, a village and a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester. The village stands on a hill of the Cotwolds, above the confluence of two rivulets, 3 miles ESE of Charfield r. station, and 4 NE of Wickwar; and has a post office under Wotton-under-Edge. The parish comprises 898 acres. Real property, £1,800. Pop., 98. Houses, 23. The property is not much divided. The hill on which the village stands has yielded many curious fossils. The parish was formerly the boundary of Kingswood forest. The estate of Alderley was the birthplace of Sir Matthew Hale, and continues to be held by his descendants. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £200.* Patron, R. H. B. Hale, Esq. The church is a handsome building, conspicuously situated on the hill; and contains the grave and monument of Sir Matthew Hale.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alderley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stroud. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alderley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alderley, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alderley".