In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Watlington like this:
WATLINGTON, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Henley district, Oxford. The town stands at the foot of the Chiltern hills, 8 miles NE of Wallingford r. station; was known, at Domesday, as Watelintone; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Tetsworth, a good inn, a police station of 1860, a town hall of 1644, a-lecture-hall, an ancient church, two dissenting chapels, an endowed school, charities £102, two breweries, and two annual fairs. The parish includes three liberties, and comprises 3,440 acres. ...
Real property, £6,062. Pop., 1,938. Houses, 418. The manors belong to T. S. Carter, Esq., and the Rev. W. P. Hutton; and W. Park is Mr. Carter's seat. A moated castle of 1338 was here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £240.* Patron, T. S. Carter, Esq.The sub-district contains 8 parishes and a chapelry. Acres, 20,313. Pop., 4,409. Houses, 913.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Watlington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Watlington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Watlington in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Watlington".