In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Freckleton like this:
FRECKLETON, a township-chapelry in Kirkham parish, Lancashire; near Naze Point, on the estuary of the Ribble, 2½ miles SSE of Kirkham r. station, and 7½ W of Preston. It has a post office under Preston. Acres, 2, 659; of which 885 are water. Pop., 879. Houses, 188. A manufacture of sacks and sailcloth, which had been extensively carried on, was recently discontinued. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Warton, in the diocese of Manchester. The church was built in 1838. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Freckleton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Fylde. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Freckleton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Freckleton, in Fylde and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Freckleton".