In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swalcliffe like this:
SWALCLIFFE, or Swacliffe, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Banbury district, Oxford. The village stands 5¾ miles WSW of Banbury r. station, and has a post-office under Banbury. The parish includes the townships of Sibford-Ferris, Sibford-Gower, Epwell, Shutford, and West Shutford; and comprises 6,270 acres. Real property, £13,640. Pop., 1,919. Houses, 444. The property is much subdivided. S. Park is the residence of H. Norris, Esq. A double-ditched British camp is at Madmarston. ...
Many Roman remains have been found at Blackland. The living is a vicarage, with Epwell and Shutford chapelries, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church has Norman, early English, decorated, and later English portions, and is good. The vicarage of Sibford is a separate benefice. Ancient chapels of ease are in Epwell and Shutford. There are six dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £30 a year, a large Quakers' school, and charities £154.The sub-district contains 11 parishes. Acres, 21,720. Pop., 6,219. Houses, 1,440.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Swalcliffe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cherwell. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Swalcliffe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swalcliffe, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Swalcliffe".