Place:


Condover  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Condover like this:

CONDOVER, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Salop. The village stands on an affluent of the river Severn, adjacent to the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 4½ miles S of Shrewsbury; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Shrewsbury. The parish includes also the villages of Chatford and Dorrington. ...


Acres, 7, 422. Real property, £14, 431. Pop., 1,871. Houses, 376. The property is subdivided. Condover House is the seat of E. W. S. Owen, Esq.; and was built, about 1590, by Chief Justice Owen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £258.* Patron, R. Cholmondely, Esq. The church is chiefly Norman; contains monuments of the Owens, one of them by Roubiliac; and is good. The p. curacy of Dorrington is a separate benefice. Charities, £66. -The sub-district is in Atcham district; and contains fourteen parishes. Acres, 37, 057. Pop., 6, 063. Houses, 1, 157. -The hundred includes most of the sub-district; extends considerably beyond it; and is cut into the divisions of Condover and Cound. Acres, 25, 630 and 19, 684. Pop. of the whole, 6, 551. Houses, 1, 261.

Condover through time

Condover is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Condover itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Condover, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10216

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Condover ".