In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stonesfield like this:
STONESFIELD, a parish, with a village, in Woodstock district, Oxford; on Akeman-street and the river Evenlode, 2½ miles NW of Handborough r. station, and 3½ W of Woodstock. It has a post-office under Woodstock. Acres, 1,020. Real property, £1,535. Pop., 650. Houses, 136. The property is much subdivided. A fine Roman pavement, 35 feet by 60, was found in 1711. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150.* Patron, the Duke of Marlborough. The church is early English and good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £11.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stonesfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stonesfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stonesfield in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stonesfield".