In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burford like this:
BURFORD, a township and a parish in the district of Tenbury and county of Salop. The township lies on the river Teme and the Knighton canal, adjacent to the Tenbury railway, 1 mile W of Tenbury; and had formerly a market. Pop., 387. Houses, 88. The parish contains also the townships of Boraston, Greet, Nash, Stoke, Tilsop, Weston, Whatmore, and Whitton. Post Town, Tenbury. Acres, 6,672. Real property, £10,380. Pop., 1,121. Houses, 240. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory, of three portions, in the diocese of Hereford; the first portion united with the p. ...
curacies of Boraston and Nash, the second portion united with the p. curacy of Whitton, and all three in the patronage of Lord Northwick. Value of the first, £460;* of the second, £286;* of the third, £335.* The mother church was anciently collegiate; and has a brass of the 14th century. There are churches also in Boraston and Nash. Charities, £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Burford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Shropshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Burford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burford in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burford".