In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanton Harcourt like this:
STANTON-HARCOURT, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Witney district, Oxford; 2 miles SSE of South Leigh r. station, and 4¾ SE of Witney. It has a post-office under Witney. Acres, 3,120. Real property, £4,961. Pop., 661. Houses, 141. The manor has belonged, for six centuries, to the Harcourts. The manor house, of the 15th century, was the place where Pope finished his translation of the 5th book of Homer; and is now represented by interesting remains at a farm . Three stones, called Devil's Quoits, said to be commemorative of a battle in 614, are near the village. The living is a vicarage, united with South Leigh, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £136.* Patron, the Bishop of O. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good. There are an endowed school with £19 a year, and charities £15.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stanton Harcourt has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stanton Harcourt and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanton Harcourt in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stanton Harcourt".