In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shirburn like this:
SHIRBURN, a parish, with a village, in Thame district, Oxford; under the Chilterns, 7 miles SSW of Thame r. station. Post town, Watlington, under Tetsworth. Acres, 2,411. Real property, £2,633. Pop., 292. Houses, 59. The manor, with S. Castle, belongs to the Earl of Macclesfield. The castle succeeded a fortalice which surrendered in 1141 to the Empress Maud, and was the meeting-place in 1321 of the insurgent barons under the Earl of Lancaster; was itself built in 1332 by Sir Warine de Lisle; passed to successively the Beauchamps, the Talbots, the Quatremains, the Forsters, the Chamberlains, and the Gages; was purchased, early in last century, by the first Earl of Macclesfield; forms a hollow quadrangle, with round towers at the corners; is surrounded by a wide moat, and approached by draw-bridges with portcullis defence; shows mainly later English architecture in the exterior, but has been modernized in the interior; and contains an armoury, two valuable libraries, and a few very fine portraits. ...
S. Lodge is the seat of J J. Henley, Esq. S. Hill projects from the Chilterns, and is traversed by Icknield-street. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £112. Patron, the Earl of Macclesfield. The church is ancient.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shirburn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shirburn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shirburn in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shirburn".