In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Yardley like this:
YARDLEY, a parish in the district of Solihulland county of Worcester; 4 miles E of Birmingham. It contains Stechford r. station in the N, and Acocks-Green r. station in the S; is traversed by the Warwick and Birmingham canal; and has a post-office under Birmingham. Acres, 7,355. Real property, £25,252. Pop. in 1851, 2,753; in 1861, 3,848. Houses, 775. The manor has belonged since 1768 to the family of Taylor. There are many good residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. ...
Value, £625.* Patron, Mrs. M. Severne. The church is good and has a tower and spire. The p. curacy of Marston and the vicarages of Yardley-Wood and Acocks-Green are separate benefices; and the first and the second have been separately noticed; while the third was constituted so late as 1867. A handsome new Independent chapel, with tower and spire, is at Acocks-Green; another Independent chapel is at Rushall-Lane; the Independent theological college, noticed in our article on Moseley, is at Wake-Green; and there are an endowed grammar-school with £100 a year, another endowed school with £70, a national school, and charities about £800.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Yardley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Birmingham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Yardley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Yardley, in Birmingham and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Yardley".