In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sandford on Thames like this:
SANDFORD, a village and a parish in Woodstock district, Oxford. The village stands on the river Dorme, 4¼ miles W N W of Heyford r. station, and 4½ S W by S of Deddington; is a pretty place; and has a post-office under Oxford, and a tall cross on lofty steps. The parish contains also the hamlet of Leadwell, and comprises 1,850 acres. Real property, £3, 887. Pop., 476. Houses, 105. The Manor House is the residence of the Rev. E. Marshall; and S. Park, of E. Guest, Esq. A quondamlarge mansion in Leadwell was the seat of Earl Deloraine. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £200.* Patron, the Duke of Marlborough one turn, and the Rev. E. Marshall two turns. The church ranges fromtransition Norman to later English, was restored in 1 845, and has a new chancel and a W embattled tower. There are a national school, and charities £33.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sandford on Thames has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sandford on Thames and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandford on Thames in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sandford on Thames".