In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eccleston like this:
ECCLESTON, a village and a township in Chorley district; and a parish in Chorley and Wigan districts, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Yarrow, 2 miles E of Croston r. station, and 4½ W of Chorley; was once a market-town; had also fairs on 14 April and 4 Nov.; and has a post office under Chorley. The township comprises 2, 085 acres. Real property, £4, 891. Pop. in 1851, 671; in 1861, 965. Houses, 184. The parish contains also the townships of Heskin, Parbold, and Wrightington. ...
Acres, 8, 361. Real property, 18, 076; of which £830 are in mines, and £461 in quarries. Pop., 3, 496. Houses, 655. The property is not much divided. The increase of pop. in Eccleston township between 1851 and 1861 arose from the erection of cotton factories. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Valne, £965.* Patron, Will. Yates, Esq. The church is ancient. The vicarage of Douglas and the p. curacy of Wrightington are separate benefices. There are three dissenting chapels, a R. Catholic chapel, a free grammar school, and charities £50.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Eccleston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chorley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Eccleston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eccleston, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eccleston".