In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pyrton like this:
PIRTON, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Oxford. The village stands near the Chiltern hills, 1 mile N of Watlington, and 7 N E of Watlingford r. station; and was anciently called Peritone. The parish contains also the hamlets of Clare, Assendon, Golder, Portways, and Standhill; and is in Henley district. Post-town, Tetworth. Acres, 5, 140. Real property, £8, 195. Pop., 705. Houses, 139. The manor was held, at Domesday, by Hugh Lupus; and belongs now to Lord Camoys, the Earl of Macclesfield, and H. ...
Hamersley, Esq. Stonor Park is the seat of Lord Camoys; and the Manor House is the seat of H. Hamersley, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £258.* Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1856, and is in the early English style. There are a dissentingchapel, a Roman Catholic chapel, and charities £16. John Hampden was married in the old church to Miss Symeon, whose father then occupied the Manor House; and Rose, the author of an " Essay on Universal Language, " was a native. The hundred contains seven parishes, and part of another. Acres, 13, 973. Pop., 3, 615. Houses, 763.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pyrton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pyrton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pyrton in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pyrton".