In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Bath like this:
Bath, city, mun. and parl. bor., E. Somerset, on river Avon, 11¾ miles SE. of Bristol, 107 W. of London, and 135 S. of Birmingham by rail -- par. bor., 3611 ac., pop. 53,785; mun. bor., 3539 ac., pop. 51,814; 5 Banks, 6 newspapers. Market-days, Wed. and Sat. The town consists of two parts -- Old Bath, on a bend of the river, and New Bath, on a range of lofty hills. B. owes its importance to its hot springs, known to the Romans in the 1st century; and is much resorted to for its medicinal waters, baths, &c. The springs, four in number, yield about 7750 gallons per hour, the temperature ranging from 110o to 117o Fahrenheit. Bath and Wells have formed one diocese since 1135. The bor. returns 2 members to Parliament.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bath has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bath and North East Somerset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bath and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bath in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bath".