In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southworth like this:
SOUTHWORTH-WITH-CROFT, a parish in Warington district, Lancashire; 1¾ mile SSW of Kenyon-Junction r. station, and 4¼ NE by N of Warrington. It has a post-office, of the name of Croft, under Warrington. Acres, 1,851. Real property, £4,255. Pop., 1,094. Houses, 228. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £230.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is recent, and has a spire. There are chapels for Independent Methodists and Roman Catholics, and an endowed school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Southworth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Warrington. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Southworth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southworth, in Warrington and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Southworth".