In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Caton like this:
CATON, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Lune and the Midland railway, 4¼ miles NE of Lancaster; is in Lancaster parish; includes Littledale hamlet; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lancaster. Acres, 8,373. Real property, £6,683. Pop., 1,160. Houses, 223. The property is much subdivided. A rising ground commands a noble view, much praised by the poet Gray, of the valley of the Lune, backed by Ingleborough mountain. ...
Coal and slate are found; and the cotton manufacture is carried on.The chapelry comprises all the township, except Littledale hamlet. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100.* Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church was rebuilt in 1864. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £20.-The subdistrict contains also Quernmoor township and Claughton parish. Pop., 1,817. Houses, 346.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Caton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lancaster. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Caton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caton, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Caton".