In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Woolwich like this:
Woolwich, parl. bor., town, and par., Kent, on river Thames, 8 miles E. of London by rail - par., 1126 ac., pop. 36,665; bor. (including also the township of Eltham and the par. of Plumstead), 8296 ac., pop. 74,963; 3 Banks, 4 newspapers. The chief feature of Woolwich is the arsenal, one of the most extensive and complete establishments of the kind in the world. ...
It is 4 miles in circumference, and is divided into the carriage, gun factory, laboratory, saddlery, and ordnance departments. The arsenal was transferred from Moorfields to Woolwich in 1716. The dockyard dates from the reign of Henry VIII., but it never attained to first rank among English naval yards. Almost the only buildings of interest are the military establishments, such as the military academy, the Rotunda or military museum, the barracks of the artillery and of the marine and royal engineers, the soldiers' home, the ordnance hospital, and the Herbert hospital on the W. slope of Shooter's Hill. Military exercises and reviews are held on Woolwich Common; and at the practice range, on the marshes to the E., all cannon and new inventions in artillery are proved. There is a ferry from Woolwich pier to North Woolwich. Woolwich returns 1 member to Parliament; it was made a parliamentary borough in 1885, prior to which it was mostly included in the old parliamentary limits of Greenwich.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woolwich, in Greenwich and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th April 2017
You have reached this page despite our best efforts, as the search term that has been passed to this page, "Woolwich/" ("WOOLWICH/" when cleaned), does not appear as a valid name associated with this place. PLEASE e-mail us reporting the problem and describing what you typed in.
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woolwich/ ".