In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Lewes like this:
Lewes.-- mun. bor., market town, and co. town of Sussex, on river Ouse, 8 miles NE. of Brighton and 50 miles S. of London by rail - bor., 1087 ac., pop. 11,199; town, 119ac., pop.6017; 2 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-day, Tuesday. The town is well known for its agreeable scenery and the purity of its air. It is an ancient place, and was presented by William the Conqueror to his son William de Warren. At Mount Harry, in the vicinity, was fought (1264) the battle between Simon de Montfort and King Henry III., in which the latter was defeated. Corn, malt, sheep, cattle, coal, and lime are the chief staples of commerce. The mun. bor. of Lewes was incorporated in 1881. Lewes returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lewes has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lewes. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lewes and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lewes in Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lewes".