Place:


Boldre  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Boldre like this:

BOLDRE, a village and a parish in Lymington district, Hants. The village stands on the Lymington river, near the Lymington branch railway, 2½ miles N of Lymington; and has a post office under Lymington. -The parish includes also the tythings of South Baddesley, Battramsley, Pilley and Warborne, Sway and Walhampton. ...


Acres, 11,950; of which 1,780 are water. Real property, exclusive of the parts within Lymington Borough, £9,810. Pop., 2,842. Houses, 605. The property is much subdivided. Fully one-half of the surface, comprising 180 acres in Wilberley-walk, 655 in Rhinefield-walk, 1,580 in Whitley-Ridge-walk, and 3,680 in Lady-Cross-walk, is in the New Forest. BoldreWood House is now used as a keeper's cottage; and Walhampton House belongs to the Burrard family. Many parts contain fine close scenery; and some spots command extensive brilliant views. The parts within a line from Eastend bridge through Boldre church, to the west bank of Lymington river, are within Lymington parliamentary borough. The living is a vic., united with the cur. of Lymington, and till 1864 to that of Brockenhurst, in the diocese. of Winchester. Value, £394.* Patron, the Rev.Shrubb. The church stands on a hillock, embowered among trees, about a mile from the village; is early English, much altered by restorations; has a singularly-placed tower; contains a well-preserved piscina, a monumental bust of Kemp, who represented Lymington in the time of Charles I., and the remains and monument of the Rev. Wm. Gilpin, author of "Forest Scenery;" and was the marriage-place of Southey to his second wife, Caroline Bowles. East Boldre p. curacy is a separate benefice; was constituted in 1840; and is in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester, with income of £100.* The chapelries of Sway and Baddesley also are separate benefices. There is a Baptist chapel. A school, founded and endowed by Gilpin, has £87 a year. Gilpin was vicar during thirty years, and died in 1804.

Boldre through time

Boldre is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Boldre itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boldre, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5650

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Boldre ".