Place:


Newnham Murren  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newnham Murren like this:

NEWNHAM-MURREN, a parish, with a village, in the district of Wallingford and county of Oxford; on the river Thames, under the Chiltern hills, 1 mile S S E of Wallingford r. station. Post-town, Wallingford. Acres, 1,830. Real property, £2, 670. Pop., 231. Houses, 47. The manor belongs to Hedges, Esq, The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of North Stoke, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is ancient, and has been entirely restored. A section of the parish, with a pop. of 58, is included in Stoke-Row chapelry. Charities, £9.

Newnham Murren through time

Newnham Murren is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newnham Murren itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newnham Murren in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9994

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newnham Murren ".