Place:


Offenham  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Offenham like this:

OFFENHAM, a village and a parish in Evesham district, Worcester. The village stands on the river Avon, 1¼ mile S of the boundary with Warwick, and 2 N N E of Evesham r. station: took its name from King Offa, who had a house at it; and is a very retired place, untraversed by any carriage-road. ...


The parish comprises 1, 215 acres. Post-town, Evesham. Real property, £3, 380; of which £12 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 400; in 1861, 461. Houses, 95. The increase of pop.arose from the temporary presence of workmen employed in rebuilding the-church. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belonged anciently to the abbots of Evesham; and f ments and extensive foundations of a mansion of the abbots were discovered, a few yearsago, in diggings near the present manor farm-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £130.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1861, at a cost of about £1, 800; is in the early decorated English style; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a vestry; and retains thetower of the previous edifice, of late perpendicular date and embattled. There are an endowed school with £12 a year, and charities £7.

Offenham through time

Offenham is now part of Wychavon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wychavon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Offenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Offenham, in Wychavon and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9991

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Offenham ".