Place:


Newington  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newington like this:

NEWINGTON, a village in the district of Wallingford and county of Oxford, and a parish partly also in Henley district, Oxford. The village stands on the river Thame, 4¾ miles N of Wallingford, and 5¾ E of Culham r. station. The parish contains also the liberty of Berrick-Prior, the tythings of Brookhampton and Great Holcombe, and the chapelry of Britwell-Prior; and its post town is Wallingford. ...


Acres, 3,080. Real property, £3, 783. Pop., 446. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. Newington House is the seat of G. White, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Britwell-Prior, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £360.* Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is ancient, and not very good; has a decorated English tower and spire, with an early English base; and contains, in the S wall, a handsome decorated tomb-recess. There are a national school, and charities £5.

Newington through time

Newington is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newington in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9976

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newington ".