Place:


Mongewell  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mongewell like this:

MONGEWELL, a parish in the district of Wallingford and county of Oxford; on the river Thames, at the boundary with Berks, 1¼ mile S of Wallingford and 2½ NNE of Wallingford-Road r. station. Post town, Wallingford. Acres, 1,638. Real property, £2,086. Pop., 177. Houses, 34. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Roger de Lacy. ...


Mongewell House was formerly the seat of Dr. Barrington, and is now the seat of Lady Price. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £370.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is a neat building; and contains a monument to a Saunders, and a tablet to the wife of Bishop Barrington.

Mongewell through time

Mongewell is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mongewell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mongewell in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9974

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mongewell ".