Place:


Littlemore  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Littlemore like this:

LITTLEMOOR, or LITTLEMORE, a hamlet in Iffley parish, and a liberty and a chapelry partly also in Oxford-St. Mary-the-Virgin parish, Oxfordshire. The hamlet lies near the river Thames, the boundary with Berks, and the Oxford branch of the Great Western railway, 2½ miles SSE of Oxford; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Oxford. ...


The liberty comprises 1,090 acres. Real property, £1,798. Pop. of the Iffley portion, in 1851,214,-in 1861,234; of the Oxford-St. M. portion, in 1851,733,-in 1861,892. Houses, 48 and 87. The lunatic asylum for Oxfordshire and Berks is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 516 inmates. The chapelry was constituted in 1847, and is conterminate with the liberty. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £180.* Patron, alternately Oriel College, Oxford, andCrawley, Esq. The church is a modern edifice, in the early English style; consists of nave and highly ornate chancel, with a tower; and was built and long served by the Rev. Dr. Newman. There is a national school. A benedictine nunnery was founded here in the time of Henry II.; and was given, at the dissolution, to Cardinal Wolsey.

Littlemore through time

Littlemore is now part of Oxford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oxford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Littlemore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Littlemore, in Oxford and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9961

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Littlemore ".