Place:


Monmouth  Monmouthshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Monmouth like this:

Monmouth, parl. and mun. bor., par., and co. town of Monmouthshire, 19 miles S. of Hereford and 145 miles from London by rail - par., 3420 ac., pop. 5586; bor. (extending into Dixton Newton par.), 4983 ac., pop. 6111; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The mfrs., which are inconsiderable, include ironfounding, tanning, and tinplate-working, also chemical works and sawmills. ...


Monmouth is pleasantly situated in a fine valley, sheltered by hills, near the junction of the rivers Wye, Monnow, and Trothy, It has considerable historical interest. During the Saxon era it was a stronghold, intended to check the Britons who descended from the fastnesses of Wales. It has some remains of a famous castle, the favourite residence of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, and the birthplace of Henry V. Monmouth received a charter of incorporation from Edward VI.; it was made a parliamentary borough in the reign of Henry VIII. It unites with Newport and Usk in returning 1 member to Parliament.

Monmouth through time

Monmouth is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monmouth in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/996

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monmouth ".