Place:


Little Malvern  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Malvern like this:

MALVERN (LITTLE), a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester; under the Malvern hills, 1 mile S of Malvern Wells r. station, and 4½ ENE of Ledbury. Posttown, Malvern Wells, Worcestershire. Acres, 943. Real property, £927. Pop., 104. Houses, 20. The manor, with Little Malvern Court, belongs to M. ...


Berington, Esq. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Worcester abbey, was founded here in 1171, by two brothers, Joceline and Edred, who were the first and the second priors; and, at the dissolution, it had a prior and seven monks. An ancient camp is in the S. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £44. Patron, Earl Somers. The church consists of the chancel and tower of the ancient priory church; is in good condition; and recently underwent interior repair. The other parts of the old priory buildings are in ruin. A Roman Catholic chapel, in lieu of a previous one, was built in 1862; is a handsome stone edifice, in the pointed style; wants a nave, intended to be hereafter added; and has schools attached to it.

Little Malvern through time

Little Malvern is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Malvern itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Malvern, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9948

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Malvern ".