Place:


Cropredy  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cropredy like this:

CROPREDY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Banbury district, Oxford. The village adjoins the Cherwell river, the Oxford canal, and the Oxford and Rugby railway, near the boundaries with Warwick and Northampton, 4 miles N of Banbury; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Banbury. ...


Pop., 497. Houses, 129. The parish includes also the hamlet of Great and Little Bourton, and the chapelries of Claydon, Wardington, and Mollington; part of the last of which is electorally in Warwick. Acres, 7, 776. Real property, £17, 379. Pop., 2, 478. Houses, 599. The property is much subdivided. A battle was fought here, in 1644, between the royalists and the parliamentarians, when the latter were defeated. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £264.* Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is later English, with a tower; and has monuments of the Danbys and the Gostelows. The vicarages of Claydon, Wardington, and Mollington are separate benefices. There is a dissenting chapel. Two schools have £38 from endowment; and other charities, £68.—The sub-district contains Cropredy parish, excepting Wardington; also eight other parishes and two extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 19, 909. Pop., 4, 443. Houses, 1, 015.

Cropredy through time

Cropredy is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cropredy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cropredy, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9941

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cropredy ".