Place:


Kingham  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingham like this:

KINGHAM, a village and a parish in Chipping-Norton district, Oxford. The village stands near the river Evenlode, the boundary with Gloucester and the Chipping-Norton junction station of the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway, 4½ miles SW of ChippingNorton; was anciently known as Konigsham; and has a postal pillar box, under Chipping-Norton. ...


The parish comprises 1,877 acres. Real property, £4, 080. Pop., 678. Houses, 145. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Valne, £820.* Patron, the Rev. J. W. Lockwood. The church is ancient, but good; and has a tower. There are a national school, and charities £36.

Kingham through time

Kingham is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingham in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9901

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingham ".