Place:


Hanbury  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hanbury like this:

HANBURY, a village and a parish in Droitwich district, Worcester. The village stands near the Worcester and Birmingham canal and the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 2 miles SSE of Stoke Prior r. station, and 3¼ ENE of Droitwich; and has a post office under Bromsgrove. The parish comprises 7, 533 acres; and is partly included in Droitwich borough. ...


Real property, £10, 501Pop., 1, 044. Houses, 224. The property is divided among five. Hanbury Hall is the seat of H. F. Vernon, Esq.; and Mere Hall is the seat of E. Bearcroit, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £1, 188.* Patron, H. F. Vernon, Esq. The church stands on an eminence, commanding a fine view; is an ancient edifice, with a tower; was repaired in 1860, and enlarged in 1861; and contains monuments of the Vernons. Roman coins and other relics were recently found near the church. There are a Wesleyan chapel, two national schools, and charities £181.

Hanbury through time

Hanbury is now part of Wychavon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wychavon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hanbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hanbury, in Wychavon and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9895

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hanbury ".