Place:


Great Hampton  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Hampton like this:

HAMPTON, or GREAT HAMPTON, a village and a parish in Evesham district, Worcester. The village stands near the river Avon and the boundary with Gloucestershire, 1 mile SW of Evesham r. station; and has a postoffice under Evesham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Little Hampton, which contains Evesham workhouse. ...


Acres, 1, 670. Real property, £3, 663. Pop., 513. Houses, 92. Much of the land is meadow. Vineyard hill, a short way north west of the village, commands a fine view. Market gardening is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £81. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is of the 14th century; has an embattled tower, of later date, rising from the junction of nave and chancel; and has also a fine stained glass window, in memorial of the construction of the splendid new bridge over the Avon at Evesham. A richly carved remnant of an ancient cross is in the churchyard. Charities, £150.

Great Hampton through time

Great Hampton is now part of Wychavon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wychavon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Hampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Hampton, in Wychavon and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9892

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Hampton ".